Friday, January 20, 2006

Ok, so I'm not in Disneyland anymore

It's been a very busy 6 weeks however. There was lots of crazy work deadlines (everybody wanted everything done before the holidays) then I moved, then the holidays, and a bad flu, and it's only now that life seems to be returning to some sort of new normalcy. I'm still unpacking, and trying to remember where I put something. I'm still adjusting to my new roommates, who are smaller and funnier than my last one. And I'm still working like a dog.

However, that doesn't mean that I'll forsake this blog forever.

So a quick update is in order: Disneyland was great, but also exhausting. The 'snow' they promised every night was actually soap bubbles, which tasted terrible, and stung the eyes. It's a Small World seemed to break down every 2 hours (which spared me the pain of *that* song). Of course I feel terribly for the people who were stuck in there when it broke.

California Adventure was actually freaking awesome. It's got more modern rides, but they still imagineered the place up a bit to resemble various areas of California. I was impressed. I think they did a really good job.

By day 3 we were all toasted. After our morning excursion to hit those last few 'must ride' rides, we spend the afternoon sitting in the hot tub and waiting by the pool.

There was no down time after disneyland though. I had 10 days to pack up 7 years of crap and move it to a smaller place in Santa Rosa. I alternated between taking car loads of stuff to the dump, and car loads of stuff to Goodwill. In the end, I still had way too much stuff. But after a wild couple of days moving M's house out, I got most of my stuff crammed into my shop, and we cleaned up for a Christmas Eve party.

Christmas Eve was really fun, it was the first year in a long time that I had a Christmas tree in the house, and we had about 30 people over for fondue and drinks. Ben and Mickey laughed at my attemps of nacent step-fathering, and kids ran crazily through the house. Sylvan and Zelia did an awesome lip-sync to the 'never trust robots' song.

After everyone left, and we got the kids down to bed, I got to see, for the first time, behind the curtains of Christmas. Meredith and I stayed up and wrapped presents as Santa, filled stockings, and ate Santa's cookies (making sure to leave some crumbs). It was really cool, except for one thing.

I was definately coming down with a cold.

Christmas morning I was very sick, feverish, achey, bad sore throat, the whole package. Which made the whole "presents, candy, good cheer" thing a blur. We opened presents with the kids, who then went off with their dad to spend the day with his family. Meredith and I got dressed and went to my parent's but I could only hold out for a few hours before I had to go home and sleep. Thankfully I had the week off of work so I got to spend most of my vacation on the couch sleeping.

But even with the cold, it was a great Christmas.

No comments: