Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Photo show!

Ok, this is now over, but it's worth mentioning: I had a show of my photos @ the Freemind Infospace in Santa Rosa this month. The opening had a decent turnout for something I threw together at the last moment. I really want to thank everyone who out on a rainy saturday evening to see my little showcame (especially all you people from SF!).

For those who couldn't make it, I've put together a partial grouping on my flickr page.

It was an important step for me, as it's something I've been wanting to do for over a year. I just never got it all together until now. It was interesting to hear, albeit second-hand, some of the comments from the few who turned up. It appears that some people didn't really 'connect' with the photos because they were so still and quiet. There wasn't the emotional hook to pull them in. I was worried about that..well, worried is too strong, I was...aware that people might find the photos too vacant/remote given the photos I chose to show, but I wanted to see how it worked. It was an experiment.

I saw this show as a good first trial. It was a small commitment, only 10 pieces in all, in a place run by my friends, not too far from home, so it a good place to work out all the bugs of actually preparing for and having a show.

Now I need to set up the next one. (Paging Heebee Jeebee's...paging Heebee Jeebee's)

1 comment:

Trane DeVore said...

Congrats on the show Scott! And, ummm, don't worry too much about that "lack of connection" type feeling. So many people want some kind of 'instant gratification' from photos (just look at what shows up most of the time on flickr Explore) that they don't see the deep pleasures of still work. Your photos are beautiful (except when their funny, of course!).