Friday, March 18, 2005

Whooboy...GTD and 43 folders

So I'm jumping on the bandwagon...well maybe not jumping on, but I'm running along side and I'm thinking about jumping. David Allen's Getting Things Done, and 43folders.com has me thinking about restructuring my organizational 'system.' In other words, I will be creating an organizational system from scratch as my current system relies on letting my mail pile up until it falls on the floor at which point I kick it under my desk. M turned me onto the whole 43folders thing a little while ago, but I didn't really check it out at first. Ironically, I was too busy scrambling from one emergency to the next at work. So this week I finally checked it out, and started trying to be more aware of how I organize (or don't) and how I manage my projects. So far the simple suggestions are working well enough to make me want to dive into this more deeply. I'm a little less wary about this method/meme than others because of the popularity among the truly geeky (those who love plaintext and CLI). Most people I've met who fall into the category of the truly geeky tend to eschew complication, and fluff. What I intrinsically like about elements of GTD is that it focuses on how we process information/tasks not what new software will fix it. It seems more process driven than product driven. That being said, many of those (me included) who follow this stuff have a serious office supply fixation, so a little shopping is in order. But! The shopping is for the lo-fi cheapy stuff: 3X5 cards, manila folders, labels. That appeals to the luddite in me..ok I'll stop there.

Bottom line: The process seems to have merit, and I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

zelia said...

I was going to write a little something about this too. Thank goodness we're giving it a try. And yay for office supplies...sweet sweet office supplies!