Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Fast


amgen_DSC_5162.jpg
Originally uploaded by ScottyJ.
Stage 1 of the Amgen Tour of California ended in Santa Rosa yesterday. I'm not a big fan of sports, but I'm beginning to get interested in bike racing. Not having cable for most of the Lance Armstrong years meant that I missed out on most of the TdF video coverage. The small bits I did see were riveting. One of the things that is hard to convey on TV is just how fast these guys are going. So here it is, after 70-somthing miles on a pretty cold day in February and these guys are just hammering around Santa Rosa (9th street in this photo) at really crazy fast speeds.

The Tour of California (for those who haven't been bombarded by newspaper articles like we have) is hoping to become THE premier U.S. race, attracting lots of Euro competitors (which is key) and hopefully vaulting more U.S. cyclists onto the international scene. I hope they succeed.

If anyone has cable, and can record the coverage on ESPN2 for me, I'll be infinately obliged. I think it's on 10pm PST every night.

No comments: