Friday, February 17, 2006

On any Saturday


DSC_5080.jpg
Originally uploaded by ScottyJ.
I had a lucky Saturday (two in row, if you count last weeks flip-flop wheel find). This classy dutch-esque town bike was at the dump for $10. I saw the pin striping and rod brakes and was smitten.

I've been trying to control my bike collection lately, but really...rod brakes?

Of course it didn't look this good there. It was half taken apart, covered with weeds, mud, and just looked heavy.

I did a google search on the brand (Breda) and found nothing (!). After making sure I wouldn't be making a grave error by bringing another bike home, I woke up early Sunday and rushed back to the dump. I pulled up just in time to watch some guy poking at MY bike! And he already had a pile of bikes picked out. I wandered around feigning interest in kids BMX bikes, until he gave it up as a lost cause. Whoohoo!

I swooped in before he had a chance to reconsider. Paid my $10 and scurried, well drove, home.

To my delight, Orion showed up, and I immediately put him on polishing duty. Within a couple of hours we had fixed all the major problems and cleaned of most of the gunk. The tires even held air!

That afternoon Meredith and I rode around Roseland enjoying the warm sun.

Someday I'll probably sell it, but not yet.

No comments: